Burgee/Flag on the Backstay

Home Forums DF95 Burgee/Flag on the Backstay

Tagged: , , ,

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  df95usa 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Unless I missed something I don’t see any rule prohibiting a flag from being flown on the Backstay.
    I did see where the rule states a “burgee” may be flown from the Backstay Crane. If I interpret that literally it might be difficult to do that…
    Chuck, any ruling on my query?
    Thanks,
    Gary

df95usa
    Keymaster

Gary,
    Below is the quoted text from the rules regarding your question:

H.13 ….. A wind indicator or burgee attached to the top of the mast or backstay crane is allowed provided it’s sole purpose is to indicate wind direction.

I have several “takes” on the meaning of this rule. First, you are asking regarding a flag. I would interpret a flag to be a wind indicator and/or a burgee. So from that perspective, it is legal as it does serve as aiding in indicating wind direction. I would interpret the condition of the rule (provided it’s sole purpose is to indicate wind direction.) to mean sole sailing/performance purpose as the flag obviously has an informational purpose although I do not believe that is intended to be prevented. Third, I think a “flag” would have to be attached to the top of the mast, as you mention attaching it to the crane would be difficult. So I think that the crane section is referring to tying a ribbon or tape to the crane as I’ve seen done in many regattas.

Hope that addresses your question.
    Russ G.
    DF95 Class Secretary

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.