Super A-Rig

Home Forums DF95 Super A-Rig

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  deburwell 2 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

outlawpc
    Participant

One weakness the DF95 has IMHO is in low wind conditions.
    I would like to throw out for comment the idea of a “Super A-Rig”.
    A bigger A-Rig for super light conditions.

Jim

DragonSailing NA
    Keymaster

I would say, lets sail it for a year first, get some regatta under our belts and then see…

Im not seeing the low wind problem, Jim because everytime Ive seen this boat with others in those conditions its sails circles around them…

deburwell
    Participant

Jim,

I was thinking the same thing a while ago so I made a “super-A-rig” specifically for light wind conditions. My intent was to design it such that it would be competitive with all the 36/600, US1M, and IOMs classes which have 600 sq-in of sail area as calculated by the AMYA method. I used all of the “A” rig parts with exception of the mast which was replaced by a 1280mm mast. The design of the sails look identical to the traditional “A” rig, just stretched out and with shaped panels. I like to call it the 95/600 rig. Ill have to post some pictures next week. And yes it has no problems at all keeping up with the other “speed” boats and handles just as well. Im sure this was not the intent of the class, but it sure is fun tinkering to make it even faster especially in the lighter wind conditions.

The design of the DF95 is excellent to start with, it handles and sails better than any other boat I’ve sailed right out of the box (literally 2 hours from box to lake). And when I go to pick a boat to sail for the day, its almost always the 95.

Don

outlawpc
    Participant

Don,

I’m looking forward to seeing your 95/600 rig in action. IMHO the supplied A-rig which works well in a broad range of wind conditions, just does not do well in very (very) low wind conditions.

In those conditions … sure everyone else would have the same issue, but wouldn’t it be great to drop in a rig designed specifically for those conditions.

Here in S.Florida mornings are the best temperature wise part of the day. Unfortunately, that is the same time winds are very light, very light.

Jim

DragonSailing NA
    Keymaster

I love to tinker myself, but ultimately this is a pretty strict One design class.

To add an A+ rig to this class , you need to consider the ramifications.

1) Is it needed?
    Only my opinion but since everyone has the same boat, because of its strict one design nature whatever modest gain you will get out of a rig designed to sail in 0-3 MPH is not worth restructuring an entire class. The boat is already amazingly light for its length and is pretty tender in the current A rig to about 12-14, where the B rig comes into play. Also it seems to me we have enough ” overpowered classes ” shouldnt we work hard as enthusiasts to make sure our class maintains its perception as a low cost easy to sail class? Also If you want to travel with the DF95 currently you can fit everything into a rifle case. An a= rig would require a rig box, and as someone who has sailed IOMS for a long time , those long rig boxes are a massive pain in the butt, and are now massively not airline friendly, a big consideration here in the USA
    2) How much cost will it add to existing skippers
    This would easily another $125-$150 to the cost of the boat, anyone racing in a regatta would have to buy it
    3) Can the manufacturer ship and supply the parts
    I am sure Joysway could do it on a parts basis,Heck I would love it as a distributor 🙂 but including it in the kit wouldnt happen because once you go over a meter in length for a box costs go way up. one of the things I like about the DF95 over the Df65 is the one piece mast

4) Must be a single panel sail
    Paneled sails are double the price , and would never be allowed under the rule set

Ultimately this is a racing class not a hobbyist class. Its about determining the best skipper with equal boats, and promoting good close racing. The more rigs and cost we add the further away from that we get.

My 2 cents

outlawpc
    Participant

… All of which may be true. However life is more than one-design and regattas. Your take and understandably so … is the 95 is a “racing class”. It is also a platform to try different things, just for the “fun” of it. It’s just how one looks at it.

Even if I couldn’t legally compete… I still wouldn’t mind having an A+ rig for some fun sailing.

Jim

deburwell
    Participant

Yes, it is not legal nor do I want to stray from the strict one design class rules. Too many classes have strayed and are no longer a test of the skills of the skippers vs the technology of the boat. The DF95 is a great boat as is and I would not promote the use of such a rig for class racing.

My intent was more of a study to determine the limits of the boat. Similar to the RG65 vs DF65. The two are entirely different boats for different types of skippers. If I wanted to get into the unrestricted classes I would have chosen a 36/600 or similar class. I wanted to get involved in a one design class that is truly one design. But, it sure is fun having more horsepower…

Don

DragonSailing NA
    Keymaster

Fair enough guys 😉 Im just saying straying from the one design path is a slippery slope… Its not outside the realm of possibilities this might not be considered in the future, but before we have fleets of no conformist boats, why dont we try and give it a shot as designed and speced!

deburwell
    Participant

DF 95 with a super “A” rig, 600 sq in rig utilizing all “A” rig parts except with 1280 mm mast. All other “A” rig parts and dimensions were used. Fun task to find an optimal illegal “A” rig for light air sailing.

Link to picture is below.

DF95 with 600 sq in super “A” rig

Don

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.